Add Impact’s World Vision Fundraising Highlights and 2017 Initiatives.
2016 ended with amazing achievements and a new school for World Vision! A heart-felt congratulations to Leslie Sullivan, Add Impact’s 2016 Patrick Diltz World Vision Award Winner. Leslie embodies the characteristics of Add Impact’s Core Values and is very deserving of this accolade.
In 2016, through our various fundraising initiatives, Add Impact raised over $2,000, which has helped build a school in Tanzania.
2017’s Goal: Nicaragua
With the start of a new year comes a brand new fundraising initiative for World Vision.
This year we will be focusing on Nicaragua; this is where Leslie Sullivan’s hope child lives.
Nicaragua shares its borders with Costa Rica, Honduras, the Pacific Ocean, and the Caribbean Sea. The largest country in Central America, Nicaragua is known as “the land of lakes and volcanoes.” Nicaragua is a vibrant country with rich Spanish colonial history. Despite its natural beauty and culture, this country experiences economic hardships as well as other serious issues, such as drought, devastating effects from earthquakes, political tensions, and violence.
Fast Facts – what you need to know:
- 43 percent of the Nicaraguan population lives in rural areas and 68 percent of them are trying to survive off just over $1 per day. Overall, 46.2 percent of the population lives below the poverty line. The poverty in Nicaragua has caused extremely poor health conditions
- The World Food Program estimates that in some areas of Nicaragua, about 23 percent of children under the age of 5 suffer from chronic malnutrition
- Nicaragua is known for having a high teen pregnancy rate, and widespread violence towards women. According to the United Nations, 28% of young women in Nicaragua are giving birth to their first child before the age of 18. In 2013 alone over 6,000 cases of sexual violence were reported to the police – 88% of the reports came from girls
- Nicaragua has experienced devastating natural disasters. The 1972 earthquake in their capital city of Managua caused widespread casualties: 6,000 were killed, 20,000 were injured and over 250,000 were left homeless
- In 1998, Hurricane Mitch ravaged the country, killing at least 3,000 people and leaving hundreds of thousands more homeless
Add Impact’s goal this year is to fund a school in Nicaragua, which will positively impact the lives of the children there that need our help! Our goal is to raise $3,000 towards this worthy cause!
We have a lot of fresh and exciting activities coming up to look forward to such as:
- Watching our funds grow with a fridge thermometer!
- Raffle draws for great prizes throughout the year!
- A Nicaragua-themed Potluck lunch in June!
- For our individual World Vision Kids: Christmas in September!
- Bake Sales!
For more information on World Vision and to learn more about sponsorship, please visit www.worldvision.ca
For more information on Add Impact’s initiatives, or to contribute please email firstname.lastname@example.org